Total Pageviews

Thursday 13 December 2012

Everest Typewriter: A Peak But Not Quite Perfect

Florian's comment this morning about Swiss snow made me feel so guilty (we're sweltering here) I got out my "new" non-snow capped Everest portable and test typed with it. I wasn't at all unhappy with the result. There's an obvious alignment problem, the line spacing isn't too flash and an opening top flourish is missing from the E on the script-written name badge.  The really good news is that, putting to one side those fixable or adjustable faults, this Everest actually types beautifully, with a typing action that is really, really crisp and sharp, unlike any other Everest I have ever used. This one, at least, truly belies the bad reputation of the Everest.
One of my other Everests, the K2 model:


8 comments:

Richard P said...

Hmmm, I'll have to look for one of these later machines. My K2 is in good condition but there is no acceleration to the typebars, they just hit the platen like a dead fish, as I think Will put it.

Jason said...

Is it just me or does that Everest look kind of... cartoonish? Probably just me. Too bad the spacing is faulty!

Robert Messenger said...

Yes, I have based most of my assumptions about Everests on Will's description, and until today found them to be right. This one is certainly exceptional, with plenty of zip in the typebars.

Robert Messenger said...

The spacing and alignment can be easily fixed. But dead fish can't.

notagain said...

I really came to love my K2 this November. Mr. Jingles (the bell is loose) did yeoman work on the novel, and gave the least fatigue of the stable, while having keys in the most natural positions for me. Mine looks like a marshmallow peep. I like the snow-capped look of yours here.

Dwayne F. said...

Interesting. My K2 has a great typeface and multiple issues.

Ted said...

I haven't got an Everest (the unfavorable reviews have always kept me from looking, and they're rare enough that none has ever presented itself as temptation in a thrift store), but they sure are pretty if quirky-looking machines.

Glad you found one that actually types well (:

Rob Bowker said...

In defence of the K2. Mine types really nicely, has movie star good looks and has no affitnity whatsoever with fish, dead or alive. In fact, I'm just about to 'rotate' it into action. Yours is even gorgeouser though!