Total Pageviews

Tuesday 18 June 2013

The $1 Triumph Durabel Portable Typewriter

Yes, you read that right: all of $US1 and 34 cents for this 1935 Triumph Durabel portable typewriter (serial number 2067) in almost immaculate cosmetic condition and working absolutely beautifully. My luck really has changed for the better this week!
The cost was 1 euro on German eBay ($1.40104 Australian) plus 25 euros shipping from Hamburg to Canberra, making it a total of $US34.749 ($36.4269 Australian).
It took almost a month to get here, arriving this morning, but it was obviously well worth the very small investment.
The package didn't offer much confidence that all would be well inside. But it was ...
This very solid case must have protected the typewriter in transit.

PS: Each day I receive an email from eBay Australia showing me 12 typewriters which have come up for sale in the preceding 24 hours. Today's 12 was made up of eight of those grossly overpriced tin thingies ($109 to $119 for some welded tin and a few stickers), one other (small) ornament and two electronic typewriters - no wonder I now go looking elsewhere!

8 comments:

Jasper Lindell said...

That's the best bargain typewriter I've ever seen... it's fantastic!

notagain said...

I'm amazed and astounded

Richard P said...

What a bargain! And what luck that it survived with that packing.

Ted said...

Fantastic deal on a fine specimen! It's great to see your luck turning good lately (:

L Casey said...

There really ARE still some good deals to be found out there, eh? I can only imagine what was going through your head when you saw that package in the postman's hands. I absolutely CANNOT believe it survived such a trip!

Scott K said...

Oh, what a score! I saw that on eBay too.
I'd almost be embarrassed to pay the $1. But... A deal's a deal.

Alice N said...

Gorgeous typewriter!

Anonymous said...

http://cgi.befr.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221283606395