Total Pageviews

Saturday 30 August 2014

The Naked Underwood

The last of the booty typewriters I've tackled is this Underwood, which, apart from having been badly neglected, had a snapped paper bail, a broken drawband and several missing keytops, including a shift key. The typebasket was totally jammed up. I took the machine apart completely and stripped every trace of dirty grey paint off it before reassembling it. I'm experimenting with a number of different products to get a nice, smooth and even shine all over. One thing I found worked well in cleaning up the segment and typebars was oven cleaner. I've jury rigged a paper bail from an earlier model, a spare parts machine, and used the drawband off that to get this one working again. Still plenty to do yet, including finding some keytops, but I like the way it's looking. Better naked, I say, than in shabby clothes:

6 comments:

Richard P said...

Wow, that looks amazing. It gives the machine a whole different feel, an H.R. Geiger sort of look.

Richard P said...

I mean Giger.

Robert Messenger said...

Thanks Richard, I take your point. Maybe I should call it the Giger Underwood!

Erik said...

Maybe you can emboss a spine and some segmented legs in the sheet metal ;)

Ted said...

and rig it up so if you make too many mistakes, it shoots a Facehugger at you! :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Robert. I've acquired a 1935 Underwood portable that's in very good condition but not quite operational. Do you know anyone in Brisbane who might be able to repair it?