Total Pageviews

Sunday 21 April 2019

Spooky Typewriter Thoughts: I'm A Daydream Believer!


Last evening I was watching an episode of the BBC's Antiques Roadshow on ABC TV, and started daydreaming about finding typewriter treasures. The first one that always comes to mind is a Sphinx for Richard Polt (these fantasies are fairly common for me, I should add). Maybe a Sphinx was sent to Australia, to try to tempt one of the major typewriter importers into marketing the model here. I first thought of the Chartres family and then I thought, no, the Stotts would be my best chance. A descendant of the Stotts would get in touch with me and offer me a typewriter. Some chance!
At that very moment I picked up my iPhone and saw a message. It read:
"Hi Robert, My husband is the grandson of Sydney Alexander Stott. We have a portable Underwood from Canada, circa 1930-40s which needs to find a new home. Any suggestions? Karen."
I swear, every word of this is true. Spooky? You betcha it is! Looks like all the posts about the Stotts on this blog might be starting to pay off.  Now I'm waiting on a message about a Sphinx.
The page below is from Typewriter Topics in 1919, exactly 100 years ago:

3 comments:

Bill M said...

One never knows; perhaps the next message will be "do you know of a good home for a Sphinx?"

Ted said...

sending good vibes in hopes that the elusive Sphinx is on your horizon, and that you know the answers to the riddles it will ask. :D

Richard P said...

Thanks for thinking me and my own daydreams!!

I do find that odd coincidences happen in the typewriter world. It's enough to get you believing in telepathy.