Total Pageviews

Saturday 18 January 2020

Death of a Great Journalist

                            Bernard Diederich typing his copy on a Remington-Rand portable
                                       at his newspaper, the Haiti Sun, in the early 1950s.
Checking my blog's page views just now, I noted that there had been, in the past few days, 438 views of my December 14, 2015, post on the great New Zealand-born journalist Bernard Diederich. I immediately sensed that Bernard had passed away, and sure enough glowing obituaries in The New York Times and elsewhere confirmed he had died, aged 93, in Haiti last Tuesday. He will be buried today, with a rock from Makara Beach, outside Wellington in New Zealand, in his hand.
Bernard, who braved dictators and disasters in covering civil wars, coups, earthquakes and hurricanes across the Caribbean islands and Central America, must rank as one of the greatest journalists of the 20th Century. He was born in Christchurch, New Zealand, on July 18, 1926.
To my enormous pride, Bernard himself absolutely loved my blog post of 2015. I recommend reading it here.
See also The New York Times obit, which for detail about Bernard's remarkable life relied very heavily on my post, here.

2 comments:

Bill M said...

I wonder if there is anyone in the present press corp that will ever be as good.
Mr. Diederich was much more than the one line 30 second story reporters we have these days.
He lived a great life.

Johnpyyc said...

Also, I see he did like a cigar!

John