Total Pageviews

Friday 27 March 2020

Cleaning 'Crinkle' Surfaces on Typewriters


For many years now I’ve tried a wide range of products in efforts to clean the “crinkle” grey paint surfaces on 1950s typewriters (Royals, Underwoods and Imperials in particular). Dirt gets ingrained in this particular type of surface and is very hard to shift. Last year I was asked to service a Royal HHP standard which had been bought for a Canberra woman by her mother-in-law, from the San Francisco Typewriter Exchange. It was in excellent working condition but needed a good clean-up. I had to take the machine apart anyway, so I tried something “new” (at least to me), a fast-acting, non-caustic “tough clean” spray from Shelleys. It contains 105g per litre of monoethanolamine. I found it worked a treat – simply apply (ensuring the decals are well protected, of course) and wash off.

The Imperial Good Companion portable I brought back from my visit to New Zealand was also in need of a thorough surface clean (as well as the mechanics, see below) and the same product worked wonders. I neglected to take “before” photos of the Royal, but believe me the difference after the cleaning was stark. You can tell from the “wash-off” water from the Imperial mask (bottom image) just how much dirt was extracted. I’m very pleased with the results and would thoroughly recommend using such a product if the need arises (as, in my case, it often does).

5 comments:

Michael Höhne said...

Thanks for this, Robert. Would you expand on exactly how you "ensure the decals are well protected"? This seems tricky on such an uneven surface and I am always worried about whatever protection I use pulling up the decal when it is removed.

John Cooper said...

I'll second Michael's request. Also, if you could name the product that you found at Shelley's, it might help us find a similar product in the US. Thanks!

Bill M said...

Good advice Robert.
I've used several cleaner on crinkle paint, mostly Scrubbing Bubbles followed by a hot water rinse. I keep cleaners away from my decals by covering them from any direct or indirect spray from the cleaner(s), and I rub them very gently, if at all, only with water.

Richard P said...

Scrubbing Bubbles produced my favorite product for this purpose, too — but they seem to have discontinued their old bathroom cleaner, and I haven't found anything else that is equally good yet.

Uwalls said...


Hallo! Ich bin versehentlich auf Ihre Website gegangen, aber dann habe ich mich damit beschäftigt, da ich nicht so viele Originalfotos von Schreibmaschinen gesehen habe. Ich frage mich, ob der Verkauf teuer ist. Mir wurde klar, dass man sich auch richtig um sie kümmern muss. Vielen Dank für diesen wunderbaren Blog!