Total Pageviews

Friday 30 August 2013

Good Grief! Snoopy and His Typewriter

I've never made a secret of the appeal that Snoopy and his little blue (or sometimes red) portable typewriter have held for me for more than half a century now. See my post from 2½ years ago, "Happiness is a Warm Typewriter", here.
While Mark Twain might have been the world's most famous typist of the latter part of the 19th Century, and Ernest Hemingway the most famous of the first half of the 2oth Century, the honour definitely belonged to that other great American novelist, Snoopy, from the 1960s onwards.
Is there anyone who doesn't know the opening sentence of a Snoopy novel? How many writers have appeared with their typewriters on first-day covers? Not even Tennessee Williams has been captured this often at a typewriter. Below is but a part of my ever-growing Snoopy and his typewriter collection:
I even appeared on TV wearing a Snoopy and his typewriter tie:


5 comments:

TonysVision said...

Well, if it the Snoopy and typewriter obsession was a secret, it sure is out now. I have a couple of Snoopy cum typewriter rubber stamps that I enjoy using to decorate letters to my kids and gKids. And to special adults who i know will "get it". What a great collection!

Scott K said...

Love your collection. Just gorgeous.

Bill M said...

I never knew there were so many Snoopy and his typewriter items. Very nice collection. I can't wait until I see you wearing the ear rings.

Richard P said...

What an incredible collection. Like Bill, I never knew that there was such variety.

notagain said...

I may have to find that tie for Tie Tuesdays, to alternate with the dogs playing poker one.