Total Pageviews

Thursday 29 August 2013

The Late Manson Whitlock - Typewriter Maestro: A Pictorial Tribute

John Lambert in New Haven, Connecticut, has just let me know about the sad passing of Manson Whitlock, at the age of 96. John directed me to a story in the New Haven Register here.
As soon as I can, I will publish some of John's stories about his experiences with Manson. In the meantime, here is a pictorial tribute. These photos were taken just over a year ago:
















































4 comments:

Miguel Chávez said...

Sad news, indeed. It's always sad learning of the passing of a master of a trade, particularly one that is so close to our hearts.

Richard P said...

These are very good photos, especially of his fingers.

Rest in peace, Mr. Whitlock, I am glad to have met you.

He died with his boots on -- repairing typewriters until two months before the end, and caring about his customers and their machines until the finish. He also composed a wonderful epitaph for himself:

How many minutes? How many hours?

How many days or years?

How many miles? How many smiles?

How many laughs and tears?

Shall I leave here on earth and say ‘farewell’

and leave for a life unknown?

Heaven and hell don’t suit me well.

I’ll create a life of my own

Where the friends I have known, and have long since flown

Await me with open arms.

And the friends left behind will one day find

That no one is ever alone.

Ted said...

I'm saddened to hear of Mr. Whitlock's passing. He lived a great life.

Bill M said...

Great photos. A fine tribute to Mr. Whitlock.