Total Pageviews

Monday 7 April 2014

RIP Mickey Rooney (1920-2014)

Mickey Rooney was born Joseph Yule Jr in Brooklyn on September 23, 1920. He died in North Hollywood, Los Angeles, yesterday, April 6, 2014, aged 93.
Below, Cecilia Parker with Rooney in a scene from Out West With The Hardys, 1946.
Judy Garland with Rooney in Babes On Broadway, 1941.
C. Aubrey Smith with Rooney and Ronald Sinclair in Thoroughbreds Don't Cry, 1937. 
I probably won't be believed here, but the old guy on the left, Aubrey Smith, played Australian (Rules) football matches on the 1888 British rugby team's tour of Australia and New Zealand and later captained England in Test cricket.

3 comments:

Bill M said...

Mickey Rooney was a fine actor. He will live on in his movies.

Probably the only or one of the only sports I watched on TV was Australian Football. I've not seen it for years though.

Rob Bowker said...

You know there are those times when hear someone died and you think, "I thought they were dead already". But then I remembered him in Night at the Museum... never anything but likable even when he was playing a (sort of) baddie.

Don Lampert said...

Neat of you to find several pics of Mickey at the typewriter. Met him many years ago when I worked in summer stock in New York state. Would have been the summer of 1971. He seemed old then, as compared to his boyish film image. One of the very last from Hollywoods Golden Age.
Recently I've watched all three of the MGM's "That's Entertainment" films - he was in the first one. I'm glad that I have remembrances from that time, and saw some of those latter pictures at Radio City in NY!
Thanks for the memories!