Total Pageviews

Friday 4 July 2014

Help! Attack of the Poltergeists

Martin Rice's question this morning, about how long it had taken me to customise the "white chocolate" Imperial 65, stumped me for a second or two. I realised the truth was the best part of three days. But then I remembered that somewhere in the middle of all that, I had completely lost one whole day, during which time the various parts of the Imperial had hung unattended outside, gently swaying in the freezing breeze. So it was really one day to strip down the machine completely (an inordinate amount of which was spent battling immovable screws, then laboriously applying masking tape) and repaint the parts, another part of a day to fix the drawband and put the typewriter back together again, applying to it fresh decals.
So where had that lost day gone? Well, maybe it's the cold, foggy weather we've been experiencing this week, but my brain has been clearly numbed and is suffering from a decided fogginess. At a time when even more friends and idols have fallen off this mortal coil, giving me a heightened sense of my own mortality, here's my tale of woe.
Typed on my Spanish keyboard Remington Rand Model 1.

5 comments:

Martin A. Rice, Jr. said...

Robert! Do you get any sleep?? I must have read three posts of yours that you did in the last day and a half!! But, then, I've been busy, too, after taking almost a year off from tlogging and now,plogging! Don't forget to visit Plogger, my fountain pen plog! Yes, I'm using your comments for shameless self-promotion. My apologies! And like you I don't do updates!! You can turn them off in your operating system under control panel. At least that's what I do, who knows if Bill Gates can muck with that?

Martin A. Rice, Jr. said...

Oh, and that Remington 1 is a beauty!

Piotr Trumpiel said...

Well - I guess that if you were constantly hearing typewriter's clickety-clack and noticed the machines moved a lot it would be the attack of Poltrichards... ;)

notagain said...

That is a nice Remington. If you have poltergeists, your cat would be reacting to them. It sounds to me more like gremlins.

T1peM0nkey said...

They're here.....

It seems that either your appliances are rebelling or that the RichardPoltergeists haven't found the typewriters yet! It sounds like they mostly come at night. Mostly. No typewriter collection is safe!

I do like your customization of the Imperial, Mr. Messenger. The work involved with making a machine look like it came from the factory that way is not a small amount! What advice can you give to would-be typewriter customizers like myself?