These Remington typewriter posters were drawn by an Australian artist, John Bainbridge (born 1918, Mosman, New South Wales; died London, 1978). Bainbridge was educated at the Swinbourne Art School and the National Gallery School in Melbourne. He exhibited widely in Australia while working as the art director at the National Theatre in Melbourne. He moved to England in 1945, where he worked as an exhibition, theatre set and costume designer, a poster artist and documentary filmmaker. In 1959 he was elected a Fellow of the Society of Industrial Artists.
Remington typewriters were first imported by an agency into Australia by Stott and Hoare at the turn of the 20th century. In Sydney, the company was based in Martin Place, and in Melbourne at 428 Collins Street.
However, Underwood bought into Stott and Hoare, the company became Stott and Underwood, and Remington had to find another agency. Stott and Underwood imported and sold the Corona 3 portable, as well as Smith typewriters, but given Underwood's relationship with Remington was of a different nature, it declined to promote the sales of its great US rival.
From 1910 until 1945, Remington's distributor was Chartres. The dealings between these companies were so cordial that Remington gave Chartres one of its original Sholes & Glidden typewriters, later donated by Chartres to the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney. Chartres profited in many ways, being allowed to add its own name to the Remington label and marketing its own typewriter ribbons. Here is the Chartres-Remington Building at 375 Collins Street, Melbourne.
Chartres and Remington also established headquarters in Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and Perth to sell typewriters and run business colleges. In most cases, these buildings were known as “Remington House”.
Remington were based on Liverpool Street (above) then later on the corner of Moore and Pitt Streets in Sydney and on Currie Street and later Grenfell Street in Adelaide(below).
Remington pushed further north in Queensland, as far as Townsville. Here it is in 1913 at Clayton's Apothecaries Hall on Flinders Street, Townsville.